Here is a picture of me on August 5th, the day before Nathan was born.
On August 6th the doctor decided to try a version to turn him out of breech position. It didn't work, so I got an epidural and he tried more aggressively. Nathan would not budge. By this point I was already dilated to a 7 or 8 so they decided it wasn't safe to send me home again for fear that I would have a breech baby at home, and since I already had the epidural we decided to go ahead and have him by C-section.

When Nathan came out he was still in his favorite position with his legs stuck up by his ears. We unfortunately were not allowed to hold him since he was having some trouble breathing and they had to give him oxygen right away. We were upset to discover from his lung X-rays that he was actually only 34 or 35 weeks along, and not the 36 and a half weeks that we originally had thought. They put him on CPAP in the NICU, so I wasn't able to see him until later that night. Despite him being early he is a really good size, 6 lbs 1 oz and 18 1/2 inches long. He seems huge compared to all the other NICU babies who are only 3 or 4 pounds.

The next day we were finally able to hold him.

Thanks to the hospital's family friendly policy, the girls were able to scrub in and visit their new baby brother.

Abby was very interested in learning about newborns and umbilical cords. She liked visiting with Nathan as well. She said, "Hi Nathan. I love you. I'm going to be a good big sister and not let you run in the street." Maddy grabbed his toes and said "piggies!" She also kept reaching for Nathan and saying "Baby hold me" just like she does with her baby doll.

The girls really missed their mom and loved to come visit and cuddle me in bed.

After a few days Nathan was able to go for several hours on his own without needing oxygen.

Here he is opening his eyes for one of the first times.

Nathan's bilirubin levels were high so he got to spend a few days hanging out in the light with these cool sunglasses on.

Here is on Monday just kicking his legs in the air. He is doing really well, and we should be able to bring him home soon. He is a sweet baby and we feel very blessed that he is doing well and is part of our family. We also feel blessed by all of our wonderful family, friends, ward members, and neighbors who have helped us with meals and babysitting during this joyful, yet difficult, time. Thank you.
12 comments:
What a cutie. I can't wait to meet the little fellow!
Congratulations, Mary!
It sounds like Nathanael is doing wonderfully! Does he eat on his own? Elizabeth was delivered at 34 weeks (via c-section - seriously, the similarities in our two stories are amazing - E was also breech, but the amniotic fluid was low - around 3 cm - that it would have been dangerous to go into labor with her even if she wasn't breech, since even painless contractions squeezed her cord) and had to have her feedings with an ng tube for some time until she learned to nurse.
Also, that's wonderful that your NICU lets your kids in. Ours did not. The entire hospital we were in is closed to children (except the cafeteria) unless the children are patients because of the swine flu scare. It was very frustrating because I was in the hospital for 3 weeks and only saw my boys twice during that time. Wonderful that you get to have your girls so involved.
Best wishes for a speedy homecoming for Nathanael. I'm so glad he made it here safely!!
Congratulations! We are glad to see that everyone is doing well. Nathan already has quite the history - we look forward to watching him grow and discovering his personality. We can't wait to see you guys and meet Nathan.
Mary and Jared!!!! Stephen and I are so so happy for you guys. Nathan looks like a cutie. I think he looks like Abby's newborn pictures, but I guess it's too early to tell. We're glad Mary didn't have to have Abby deliever Nathan, despite all her interest in newborns.
Congratulations, Nathan! You came to a wonderful family. : )
Yeah for the newest Collett!! Congratulations Mary and Jared. Tho I am very glad that you and Nathanael are both safe and healthy.
Congrats to all of you! Sounds like he had a rough few first days but I'm glad he is doing better. I hope you are doing good too.
OH, I already love the little guy. He is such a cutie. Hey he looks a bit like my babies, wait I think their related! Thanks for the pictures and update. Very nice.
Congratualtions. I am so glad he is home now. I know that is such a relief. I was thinking of dropping by and seeing him sometime. Not that you want a bunch of people over right now...you probably want some relax time. Well i'm so glad all is well and you both are healthy. Do let me know if there is anything i can do. =) He is darling.
CONGRATULATIONS! He's soooo cute. We're glad you're both okay now.
Make sure you check out Ruth's blog, she made the nicest tribute to you.
yeah he wasn't much bigger than my daughter was at 41 1/2 weeks... 6lbs 15 oz and 21 in long... it's crazy, these babies!
Post a Comment