There are some milestones that are joyful--watching a baby learn to walk, getting your driver's license, and graduating from high school. Some are not so fun. For me some of the most painful ones were coming home from my mission, graduating from college, and giving birth without anesthesia. Right now we are trying to help Abby and Maddy through some painful milestones.
Abby is actually doing a really good job with potty training, so I know I shouldn't complain, but this milestone is really hard--at least for mommy. I hate cleaning up pee and poop all over the place, having Abby wake me up 2-3 times at night to tell me she needs to go potty, and making a mad rush for the bathroom at the grocery store when Abby insists she has to go, only to have her sit on the potty and say, "I don't think I have to go right now. Maybe I'll try again later." It will be nice when she has fully mastered this skill, but in the meantime I'm just praying for patience.
Maddy's current painful milestone is weaning. I think she is so attached to nursing because it has always been her special mommy time that she doesn't have to share with Abby. So yesterday I felt things were going well when I went all day without nursing her. Then at around midnight she started screaming, banging her head against her crib, and crying for mommy. I was tired so I caved in and nursed her. She was so happy! She held my face in her hands, said "momma, momma," and gave me a big kiss and hug. Talk about heart-breaking! I've already started losing my milk, so I guess I'll keep up with it, but it's really hard. This morning when I tried giving her cow's milk instead of nursing her, she threw the sippy cup, screamed, and clawed at my shirt. Obviously this milestone will take some time for her to get used to, but it will be nice once she is fully weaned. In the meantime I'm trying to give her extra love and attention so she knows that I still love her.
5 comments:
Oh, I feel for you. Those were hard milestones in our family, too. Actually, Daniel gave up nursing pretty easily (it was me that had the hard time), but James held on for dear life until I had to leave for youth conference for 3 days. Good luck! Somehow it all comes together, it's just getting there that's hard on our patience!
Good luck. Those are both really big milestones and you are facing them at the same time - you are brave. I hope everything works out with Jared's job and your girls are able to reach their goals. I think you are due for a respite here soon.
Hey just think if you were in Brazil you'd be facing both milestones for Abby at once, or rather in reverse order. She'd be trained and then weaned. hehe.
I really don't understand how you can nurse for so long. super woman!!
Yes, Elle's favorite phrase is "it's not coming out" after we leave our basket of groceries only to find it all "put back" when we return! And Hyrum...maybe that's why he loves nursing so much. It is the only time he and I get together most days. I need to try and do more things with him aside from nursing...they just always turn into nursing like stories and movies just for him...Joseph's schedule lightens up in April (supposedly:) so we're working towards that goal for Elle and Hyrum weaning:). I know, we really didn't intend to go this long...we're still learning:)
Post a Comment